Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity 0.4.9, OS X Leopard -- Amazon S3 & Caught

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity 0.4.9, OS X Leopard -- Amazon S3 & Caught a socket error
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 16:28:23 +0100

> Mark, it does seem to be a Tiger issue. (And FreeBSD?.) I ran into this
> problem today on a Mac (Tiger w/ Python 2.5 from macports), but have not
> seen it on Ubuntu, and it bugged me enough that I decided to dig into it
> this afternoon. The problem is that on some OSes, python's socket.send()
> throws this error simply when the send buffer is full. I might have read
> somewhere that this is due to these OSes creating non-blocking sockets by
> default.

FWIW this is consistent with my experience when it broke on FreeBSD
and OS X (but with JungleDisk) at the same time. During the period
where I was unable to use either, (1) S3 was very slow (abnormally so)
compared to the usual performance, and (2) TCP packet inspection
showed some very strange behavior (bursty behavior, duplicate ACK:s).

As for non-blocking by default, I am surprised. Googling I found that
scgi_server has a work-around for this too. Would anyone know of any
details on this? I was not able to find something concrete on the
intended or expected behavior.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'