RE: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity 0.4.9, OS X Leopard -- Amazon S3 & Caught

From: Dustin Brewer
Subject: RE: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity 0.4.9, OS X Leopard -- Amazon S3 & Caught a socket error
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 14:38:01 -0800

>From Kevin E. Hunt:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kevin E. Hunt <address@hidden>
Date: Jan 26, 2008 12:03 PM
To: Dustin Brewer <address@hidden>, Darik Horn <address@hidden>, Mark Wardle <address@hidden>

Guys,

The duplicity-talk list has been swallowing my messages... I sent the below msg on 1/17 and tried again yesterday after realizing this. The second one didn't show up either.  Can one of you forward it to the list for me? The good news is the boto developer accepted the patch.

----
Mark, it does seem to be a Tiger issue. (And FreeBSD?.) I ran into this problem today on a Mac (Tiger w/ Python 2.5 from macports), but have not seen it on Ubuntu, and it bugged me enough that I decided to dig into it this afternoon. The problem is that on some OSes, python's socket.send() throws this error simply when the send buffer is full. I might have read somewhere that this is due to these OSes creating non-blocking sockets by default.

The simple fix is to retry the send() whenever that specific exception occurs. This is the change I made to boto, and I filed the ticket [1] and uploaded the patch there. In my testing it works perfectly.

Regards,
Kevin
Centropy.com

[1] - http://code.google.com/p/boto/issues/detail?id=89