Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity - What's Next?

From: Michael Baierl
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity - What's Next?
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 09:08:03 +0200

Kenneth Loafman wrote:

6) New file format.  I'm thinking that this needs to be addressed if
we're going to play in the major leagues.  Having to decompress/decrypt
several megs/gigs to get to a small critical file to restore is not a
good thing.  It's secure, but at a high price.  There are some other
projects out there with better formats.  What we need is one already
vetted by heavy use, so any suggestions will be considered.

1-5 are "agreed" and make sense, all items that should be taken care of in the future. What's really important is to focus on the items where duplicity is strong right now and differentiates from other backup solutions. In my opinion it's unique features are:

-) running on Win, Mac, Linux, so everything you do should keep that in mind. Ideally it runs out of the box, with all features and no differences....

-) only transfer and store small file sets - duplicity is used a lot in environments where data is stored on remote system and the bottleneck is the line to the remote system, so transfer should be minimized. Loading 100GB over WebDAV to get a 2k config file back is really no option...

My 3 cents :)

Mike
--
Michael Baierl