dr-geo

Re: [Dr-geo] Re-write?

From: gagan
Subject: Re: [Dr-geo] Re-write?
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 18:49:37 +0530

On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Gurjot Singh <address@hidden> wrote:

<snip>

> Continuing my previous post, I have concluded that the work needed to
> update the libraries used in drgeo requires almost re-write of the
> back-end code.
>
> The foundation of the software is really old. The code hasn't been
> changed since 2005 but the techniques on the basis of which the code
> was written has changed a lot. If the libraries are updated, the code
> requires a good amount of change which seems practical but is not so
> easy and still leaves the old-foundation intact.

Agreed.

> The concepts used in the software are good and can be enhanced and re-used.

Yes. You should try to get enough code from this version of Dr. Geo

> Earlier I was thinking of using Vala Programming Language[0] to write
> the application along with GTK+3[1]. There might be some licensing
> issue, not sure though.
>
> If you suggest that I can use it, then I may start with it, else I will use
> C++.

I am better with C++. There are many reasons for this,

C++ is known by more people than Vala.
GNU prefers C/C++ for the code.
It is fast. :)

And many more you can find on internet.

I know C++ and it will be good for me too since its obvious I have to
maintain code in future too.

> For drawing purposes I'll use Cairo[2], a 2D Graphics Library which is
> also used/supported by Gtk3.

Cairo is nice :) Good choice.

> Considering the scripting part, it could be done using either Guile or
> Lua which can be decided later.

So that seems to be out of new Dr. Geo for the while. I am okay with
that too since it will be enough of work to be done.

> The main motive is to build a solid foundation for the software that
> can be enhanced in future without much of a hassle.

Quality over Quantity ;-)

> If all of this is acceptable, then I can prepare my milestones accordingly.

I am fine with this.

Mentor's reply will be your answer though.

--
Thanks
Gaganjyot