dr-geo

[Dr-geo] Re-write?

From: Gurjot Singh
Subject: [Dr-geo] Re-write?
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 00:43:16 +0530

Hi,

This may sound a bit sour but the backend of the software needs a re-write.
The module that draws the entities like point, line, circle, arc,
polygon. etc. are currently written in gdk2 API which is now
deprecated and only GTK2 supports it, somewhat loosely.
Whereas GTK3 has completely dropped its support for gdk api and
instead uses cairo for drawing purpose.
So this module requires an almost complete re-write to work.
This has definitely increased the time requirement to develop it.
Now there are two options:
#1: Stay on Gtk2 and keep using older API (not recommended). This will
free-up time to add the features that I initially proposed in my
proposal.
#2: Shift to cairo, though recommended but will take a lot of time and
may, and most certainly it will, hinders in my workflow to add those
new features as proposed.

Need guidance on how to proceed now. Awaiting reply.

Regards
--
Gurjot Singh
Blog: http://bhattigurjot.wordpress.com

"You gotta get hurt 'cause that's how you'll learn, You gotta try your
hardest no matter how much you'll burn." ~ Scott Singh