Re: [DotGNU]DotGNUstep

From: S11001001
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]DotGNUstep
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:21:04 -0500

Robert Puyol wrote:
A very interesting framework for DotGNU, this could be a very good way to develop a cross-platform GUI applications.

Yes, it most definitely could, and I see this as one of the possible outcomes of the GUI wars (see Mono-list), because it's so well-defined. However, DotGNUstep is not only for GUI apps. The FoundationKit is meant as a standard library of sorts, on the same level as the BCL (impl: pnetlib). There is no GUI functionality in FoundationKit; all GUI stuff is in ApplicationKit.

It is intended to be used *in place of* BCL, for those who so desire. Plus it's required for AppKit :]

There is another problem I didn't mention: how do we work exceptions into the framework? These are not part of OpenStep, as they are not included in ObjC, but they would be ideal for a viable alternative to the BCL. This may or may not collide with the idea of keeping the GNUstep and DotGNUstep APIs very close, both collaboratively and definitively.

--
Stephen Compall
DotGNU `Contributor' -- http://dotgnu.org

Right now the hoarders essentially claims the power to render a
person's computer useless. There used to be people in the US, most
commonly about fifty years ago, they were in the Mafia, they would go
up to stores and bars, especially bars when bars were illegal of
course. They would go up and say: "A lot of places around here have
been burning down lately. You wouldn't want your place to burn down,
would you? Well we can protect you from fires, you just have to pay us
a thousand dollars a month, and we'll make sure you don't have a fire
here." And this was called "the protection racket". Now we have
something where a person says "You got a nice computer there, and
you've got some programs there that you're using. Well, if you don't
want those programs to disappear, if you don't want the police to come
after you, you better pay me a thousand dollars, and I'll give you a
copy of this program with a license," and this is called "the software
protection racket".
        -- RMS, Lecture at KTH (Sweden), 30 October 1986