[DotGNU]DotGNU.Net.Jabber classes under construction

From: Peter Minten
Subject: [DotGNU]DotGNU.Net.Jabber classes under construction
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 09:57:52 +0200

Hi,

I started working on the Jabber classes in DG-Base. The goal is to provide a
roughly 3 layered system:

|                  JabberStream                     |
|                 helper classes                    |
+---------------+-----------------+-----------------+
| JabberMessage | JabberPresence  |       etc       |
+---------------+-----------------+-----------------+

At the bottom level are the 'transformer classes'. These are little more than
intelligent structs that can present their contents in either a set of
attributes or as a single Xml attribute. By changing an attribute of the set the
Xml attribute get's another value and vice versa.

At the middle level there are helper classes. The exact function of these isn't
very clear yet but they will mainly serve as support classes for JabberStream.
It will probably be possible however to use them on their own. The helper
classes will be topic specific (you will have a JabberMessageHelper, a
JabberPresenceHelper, etc)

At the top level there is JabberStream. This class is the most user friendly
interface in the namespace. It will be able to handle most of the Jabber
overhead. It basically does this by directing the helper classes.

I will use the standard ECMA compatible System.Xml library, not dotgnu.xml or
.NET System.Xml . The reason for this not using dotgnu.xml is that it isn't fit
for use and the API isn't written down yet. The reason for not using .NET
System.Xml is simply policy, I've set down the reasons for that policy in my 17
august 'DotGNU Matters' mail.

Problem is that pnetlib's ECMA compatible System.Xml isn't complete yet. I can
only hope that somebody will pick that job up (hint, hint :-).

Greetings,

Peter