Re: [DotGNU]Re: "Open source" is not what we do here

From: Daniel Carrera
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: "Open source" is not what we do here
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 13:16:57 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Raghavendra Bhat wrote:

> Many User Groups here have been  "captured" (the apt term that RMS uses)
> by the Open  Source guys even though they were  started by Free Software
> enthusiasts.

I'm not entirely sure that "captured" is such an apt term.  You see, many
people's ideologies cannot be definitely placed in one group or the
other.  Some people are just some where "in between" (for lack of a better
term).

Take me for example (please don't flame me, these are just my
opinions):

1.-  I agree that writing free software is an inherent good.  This
motivates me to write free software.
2.-  I do not agree that (1) implies that propietary software is an
inherent evil.
3.-  I am *also* motivated by the practical advantages of free software
(that's my "open source side").

I also believe that the practical advantages of free software bring about
several things that I believe are inherently good:

(a)  Facilitate computer access to poor peoples and poor countries.
(b)  Encourage choice.
(c)  Encourage innovaton, and all the benefits that brings.
(d)  Prevent monopolistic control and encourage freedom.

Furthermore, I do believe that monopolistic control is an inherent evil.

For these reasons I want to see free software succeed and I will work to
make that happen.

Now, notice the following:

 i. I am mostly driven by my notion of ethics and good.

ii. Much of that good comes from the advantages of a "software model".
    Emphasizing the model is more of an open source trait.

As you can see, my believes do not fit perfectly into either group.

Daniel.