[DotGNU]Re: "Open source" is not what we do here

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [DotGNU]Re: "Open source" is not what we do here
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 10:32:39 -0700 (MST)

    I don't use the term to direct people's attention to Open Source. Their
    attention is already there. I use that pre-existing attention to get my
    message across about using GPL software.

The attention is already there because the Open Source Movement has
had a lot of publicity.  As a result, we in the Free Software Movement
now have to struggle not to be entirely forgotten.  Unfortunately,
what you are doing makes it harder, not easier, for us to do that.
You are adding to the weight of publicity that we have to overcome.

I wish it were true that awareness of the GNU GPL led naturally to
support for the Free Software Movement, but I know from experience
that it is not so.  Only a minority of the developers that release
under the GPL endorse users' freedom as an ethical issue.  I have seen
hundreds of articles that talk about the GPL without mentioning either
the term "free software" or the ideals it stands for.  They assume and
endorse the purely economic values of the Open Source Movement and do
so without question.  Readers get no idea that any other values could
even be entertained.  People who have used the GNU/Linux system for
years, and know about the GNU GPL, tell me they have never even heard
about the Free Software Movement's values.

So even though I know you are sincere in wanting to help, I have to
reject this kind of help.  You have the right to work under the banner
of open source if you wish, but don't expect any gratitude from the
Free Software Movement if you publicize our work under the other
movement's banner.