Re: [DotGNU]Ximian shows its stripes at last

From: Barry Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Ximian shows its stripes at last
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 20:47:46 -0500

Nicholas Hynes wrote:

> Sorry for sideboard surfing into this conversation half-way...
>
> If Ximian do decide to re-license a number of 'their' products, where does
> that leave the existing code base.

Well, arguably any distributed GPL'ed code would be grandfathered and it
could be usable in further GPL'ed products.  However, any modification
to that GPL'ed code made by Ximian or for the proprietary fork would not
be GPL'ed - which goes against the entire point of the GPL.  That is, in
this "hypothetical" situation.

> Could someone else pick up the code base & keep developing it?

Yes.

> BTW does anyone know the legal status of the desktop apps & Bonobo?

Good question, I'm not sure... anyone else out there have an answer?

        -Barry