[DotGNU]Ximian shows its stripes at last

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: [DotGNU]Ximian shows its stripes at last
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 20:52:55 +1000

Finally, confirmation from Miguel that Ximian is indeed
looking to make proprietry versions of Mono sometime in
the future:

http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/mono-list/2002-January/002510.html

An excerpt:

> Ximian owns the whole copyright to:
>
>        The Mono C# compiler.
>        The runtime engine.
>
> We are copyright co-owners with many contributors on:
>
>        The class libraries.
>
> Ximian might relicense any of the code it owns under different
licenses
> (this for example enabled us to develop the Exchange plugin for
> Evolution, which is a proprietary plugin).
>
> We also ask contributors to the Mono C# compiler and the runtime
engine
> to assign the copyright to Ximian (so far, we have got two copyright
> assignments: one for the compiler, and one for the runtime engine).

i.e. they own the entire source to the two most important
components, and want all contributors to those components
to assign their code to Ximian, so they can take those
contributions private anytime they choose.