Re: GNUstep Desktop

From: H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: GNUstep Desktop
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 15:54:51 +0200

Hi,
I tried to build GSDE on a RasPi with Debian 9.13. Why 9.13?
Because it is smaller than newer releases.

I'd even prefer Debian 7.11 because it is really lightweight on some devices
with
not too much RAM.

Well, first of all I observed that installing dependencies in a script with a
big
loop calling apt-get install inside isn't the standard way and reinventing a
tiny
wheel of Debian :) That is the key task the apt-get package manager was invented
decades ago...

Therefore I have created a simple wrapper debian package (letux-gsde) which
defines the dependencies:

http://download.goldelico.com/quantumstep/debian/dists/stretch/main/binary-all/letux-gsde_0.20230525134012_all.deb

or sources, which I used to make the package:

https://git.goldelico.com/?p=letux-rootfs.git;a=commit;h=e15d417800cbd7815abf426187f903007dd3df5d

In the long run, if there is a proper Debian source package there are also build
dependencies where the -dev libs could go to.

Then apt-get will run that loop for us - but only if needed. And, another
benefit
is that it is possible to define alternative dependencies (e.g. "clang-6.0 |
clang").
So the clumsy distinction between different debian*.txt dependency files likely
isn't needed any more.

Next, my package will run your fetch_world and build_world in a preinst script.

This is where I am stuck now:

==================
 libdispatch
==================
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:2 (cmake_minimum_required):
  CMake 3.15.1 or higher is required.  You are running version 3.7.2

make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
error building the system apps
dpkg: error processing package letux-gsde (--configure):
 letux-gsde
root@letux:~# which cmake
/usr/bin/cmake
root@letux:~# cmake --version
cmake version 3.7.2

CMake suite maintained and supported by Kitware (kitware.com/cmake).
root@letux:~# cat /etc/debian_version
9.13
root@letux:~#

Does anyone know why libdispach has such a strong depencency?
Or if it is really needed?

BR,
Nikolaus

>>> Ondrej