Re: Windows HTTPS Issue

From: danieljboyd
Subject: Re: Windows HTTPS Issue
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 12:01:12 -0500

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 07:22:06PM -0500, danieljboyd@icloud.com wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 11:31:07PM +0200, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > danieljboyd@icloud.com wrote:
> > > In Windows, I'm using the stock version from the gnustep.org windows
> > > installers, on Windows 10 v1909. So I'm on MSYS1/MINGW...
> > >
> > > I don't really want a super custom environment because I'd rather not
> > > complicate deploying to other computers in the future.
> > >
> > > On Linux, I've tried two different setups: one is on the same computer
> > > WSL+Debian 10. And I also have a laptop running Ubuntu 20.04. Works on
> > > both of those.
> > >
> > > Thanks for the help! :)
> >
> > The current stock installers are a bit old but a better compromise, but
> > I don't remember the SSL/TLS version the have and support.
> >
> > Could you check it is not a TLS version issue (1.1, 1.2....) there were
> > testpoints to use to test..
> >
> > Riccardo
>

> Good call:
>
> $ openssl version
> OpenSSL 0.9.8q 2 Dec 2010
>
> $ openssl s_client -connect google.com:443 -tls1_2
> unknown option -tls1_2
>
> I also found an article on Microsoft's site about them deprecating TLS
> 1.1 in January. So... what are the chances that I'll break a bunch of
> stuff if I try and compile a current version of OpenSSL on top of all of
> that ancient MSYS environment...?
>
> Maybe try and find the earliest version of openssl with TLS 1.2 support
> and try that haha?

In the event this helps anybody else:

I was not able to get the latest openssl to compile in mingw. (I believe
it requires mingw64). *However*, openssl 1.0.2 does compile in mingw and
it includes TLS 1.2 support. Strangely, the stock GNUstep msys
environment includes openssl both in /mingw/bin and in /usr/bin.. not
sure why that is. I went ahead and did a 'make install' over-writing
both of those installations and now my GNUstep app can access TLS1.2
servers without any issues.

One issue compiling openssl: you have to have perl >= 5.10 and
GNUstep msys only has 5.8.8. I already had Strawberry perl on my system
and that worked just fine.

Steps to compile
Download openssl 1.0.2:
$ curl -O https://www.openssl.org/source/old/1.0.2/openssl-1.0.2u.tar.gz

modify path so that it will use Strawberry perl
$ export PATH=/c/Strawberry/perl/bin:$PATH

$ tar xf openssl-1.0.2u.tar.gz

$ cd openssl-1.0.2u

$ perl Configure --prefix=/mingw mingw

$ make; make install