Re: Recommendation for high sample rate receiver?

From: Daniel Estévez
Subject: Re: Recommendation for high sample rate receiver?
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 18:25:48 +0100

El 26/1/20 a las 21:38, Marcus Müller escribió:
> Seconding what Brian says:
> Math says *any* signal up to a bandwidth of 6 MHz can be represented by
> 6 MS/s. So, either, your signal isn't that bandlimited, or you forgot
> to tell us an important requirement (or you might have your math
> wrong).

Hi all,

Math also says that the time of arrival of a 6 MHz waveform can be
determined with an accuracy of 2ns, if the signal SNR is large enough.
GNSS works this way. A GPS L1 C/A signal is 2 MHz-ish and the usual
noise in time of arrival determination is around 3ns.

Math (and practice) also says that you don't need to use 500 Msps to get
this 2ns resolution. It is enough to sample above the Nyquist rate.
However you need to get your algorithms right (interpolating to 500 Msps
is a bit crazy and CPU-intensive idea that I haven't seen anyone do).

Best,

Daniel.