Re: Gnuradio for Raspberry PI 4 and SDRPLay works well, but need documen

From: CEL
Subject: Re: Gnuradio for Raspberry PI 4 and SDRPLay works well, but need documentation
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 15:56:03 +0000

Hi Glen,

On Thu, 2019-11-14 at 09:22 -0500, Glen I Langston wrote:
> Thanks Marcus,
>
> Concerning your points, I thought I’d edited the Subject line to
> start a new thread.  I’ll be more careful in the future.

no worries – just the danger of hiding your own threads!

> Also thanks for your clarification of the source code origin.  I’ve also
> directly contacted the folks at SDRPlay.
>
> I do think the SDRPlay folks do want to be more closely integrated
> with the Gnuradio folks, as they are partially integrated into
> the OsmoSdr releases.

We'd love to, but the licensing is pretty clear on that: can't
distribute compiled code that links against GNU Radio if you're closed
source.

>  I’m a little vague on the relationship
> between OsmoSdr.org and Gnuradio.

You mean the osmocom project; they are cool folks that do way more than
just gr-osmosdr; from experimentation hardware over software
implementations of fully standards-compliant base stations to cellular
backbone infrastructure. BBS / modem servers and much more! Check out
their projects!
https://osmocom.org/projects/

I think you specifically might enjoy their work on Thuraja
http://media.ccc.de/browse/congress/2011/28c3-4688-en-introducing_osmo_gmr.html

I'd say, osmocom is in the business of making as much as possible of
the modern communication stack free to use and inspect.

>   Maybe the relationship is
> “parallel play”.

There's a personal overlap between GNU Radio contributors and osmocom
contributors! Also, I respect hell out of them and enjoy hanging around
with 'em, so there's that.

Best regards,