dfey-masters

Re: [Dfey-masters] [Fwd: Direct message from Steven Flower]

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Dfey-masters] [Fwd: Direct message from Steven Flower]
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 11:15:56 +0100

Robert Leverington wrote:
On 2010-04-22, Tim Dobson wrote:
I really did not _want_ to be at this point because I doubt one click
org's will take away the bureaucratic pain of the whole thing, even if
they simplify it.
I still suspect it will add more paperwork headaches, but it may be the
best way forward.

Given none of us have any experience setting up organisations, and they
are a bit of a nightmare to do manually, I think it would be useful.
Plus it offers a more formal system for decision making, etc.
Realistically we can't accept money unless we are a structured "proper"
organisation that can have its own bank account.

I have a tiny bit of experience with Manchester Free Software - who have been trying to get a constitution together so they can have a bank account for ages but the only thing I know is "don't do it like that".

The problem, which you are well aware of, of being a proper organisation with money, is that you end up with all sorts of legal responsibilities which aren't just to do with money, especially where young people are involved(!)

The other point that I'm unclear about is how old the people legally named in the governing structure actually need to be.

I think we should probably go ahead, but those are basically the two main reasons we haven't so far, in addition to the bureaucracy vs fun ratio.

We're probably doing the right thing. :-/

Shall we ask substance how much money is actually involved? £30? £300?
£3000?
Would be helpful, depending on the amount I think it would vary the way
we need to handle it.

Yes that's what I've thought.

Shall we contact oneclickorgs and register interest in joining the Beta
program?

I think so.

Can we kick bjwebb to give an opinion on this? If he doesn't see any other points, I'm happy for you to go ahead & contact them

Tim