Re: To Mr. Shann

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: To Mr. Shann
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 19:23:31 +0100

On Fri, 2022-05-06 at 10:52 -0600, Andrew Hanson wrote:
> Hi Mr. Shann,  I first became aware of you when I was browsing around
> IMSLP looking for Alto recorder scores.  You transcribed many.
> Thanks.
>
> Then when, a few days ago, I wanted to try my own hand at that, I see
> that you are a leader of Denemo.  You are busy.
>
> Anyway, after a few days of fooling around with the program, I feel
> pretty comfortable, although there are a few places where my learning
> is incomplete.  I can't seem to get comments into place.

Although comments are something you can place in a score I suspect you
meant to write "First and second time bars" here not "comments".
There are keyboard short cuts to insert these

r,1 to start a first time bar
r,e to end it
r,2 to start a second time bar

as in the attached file. There is also a command that inserts all of
this (with a rest in the first and second time bars) in one go.

>   I see the repeat "1" ending in the original, but not in the typeset
> version, etc.
>
> Attached is what I've done with a Scarlatti Keyboard Sonata.  What do
> you think?  Any advice?
It is fun to try and push the boundaries of what can be transcribed for
recorder!
I can make a couple of observations:
You have written "cres." for what is normally notated as cresc.
Your slurs seem strange - overlapping starts and ends, and very long
for a baroque style of playing I would have thought.

Best,

Richard