Re: multiple chords over a single note

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: multiple chords over a single note
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 11:05:33 +0000

I should have mentioned that there is a section in the manual (Help-
>Browse Manual) covering this topic:

Entering Chord Symbols↓
There are two quite different ways to enter chord symbols (also known
as Chord Names↓, Fake Chords). If the chord changes do not happen mid-
way through notes then you can use Notes/Rests->Markings->Chord Symbols
to attach chord symbols to the notes themselves. A brief summary is
given by right clicking the option. The conventions are described in
the LilyPond documentation.
An alternative is to set a staff to display not the chords in regular
notation but the chord symbol that represents the chord. Create a staff
and use Staff->Staff Properties->Chord Symbols. Then this case you
enter actual chords which will be displayed as Chord Symbols. The
duration of the chords will determine the positioning, enabling chord
changes mid-note. The chord symbols can then be arranged above or below
the melody or other representation of the piece using Staffs->Swap
Staffs or creating a custom layout in the Score Layout window.
A palette is available4.5↑ for inserting chords, with this palette
selected the key sequence pm7<Enter>, for instance, will insert/append
a c, e-flat, g, b-flat chord if the cursor height is on a C, (or c-
sharp, e, g-sharp, b if there is a pending sharp↓).
Chord Charts can also be created – there is a Chord Charts palette for
these. Compact chord charts require a patch to LilyPond – enquire on
the mailing list for this.

Richard