Re: multiple chords over a single note

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: multiple chords over a single note
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 08:30:35 +0000

On Sun, 2020-03-08 at 20:13 -0400, Bric wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Denemo lets me "attach" chord symbols to specific, discrete notes.
I think you are referring to this:

Command: Edit Chord Symbols
Allows chord symbols to be added to the current note. E.G.cis:dim7 for
c-sharp diminished 7th. See Lilypond docs for notation
Location: Object Menu ▶ Notes/Rests ▶ Markings ▶ Chords Symbols
Internal Name: EditChords

>  I asked the lilypond crew how to engrave multiple chord symbols over
> and extended-duration note spanning, say, a whole measure.  Example:
> a whole note extending the full 4/4 measure, with two chord symbols
> positioned within the measure - the first at the beginning of the
> measure, the second about half-way.
>
> Attaching an illustration of what i'm after.
>
> Is there any way to achieve this on the level of denemo controls,
> rather than having to export denemo to lilypond and edit the
> "\chordmode { ... } block in lilypond ?

Yes, there is. Instead of attaching chord symbols to notes use a chord
symbol staff, where you can put as many chord symbols as you want for
durations of your choice.

Command: Chord Symbols (Off/On)
Typesets the music on this staff as chord symbols (off/on).
Location: Object Menu ▶ Staffs/Voices ▶ Staff Properties
Internal Name: ChordStaff

There is an example - use
Command: Open Example
Start a new score from a built-in example
Location: Main Menu ▶ File ▶ Open
Internal Name: OpenExample

and choose LeadSheet.denemo
In bar 8 there are two chords to the final syllable of "chose".

(the other method you can see used in LeadSheetNamedChordSymbols.denemo
where you see in bar 8 that you *can* do splitting a note but it is
more limited, you can't control the exact timing).

HTH