Re: Tremolo

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Tremolo
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 17:01:10 +0000

On Thu, 2020-01-23 at 10:16 -0500, Peter French wrote:
> Hi
>
> Working from the comments below I still cannot find the 'two note
> tremolo' in the command window.
>
> I might be having a dense day or you might be looking at a different
> version of the software.
>
> I can only find 'tremolo', tremolo up', 'tremolo down'.

You're right, I just checked and Denemo 2.2 does not have the two-note
tremolo command. Easiest would be to download

http://www.denemo.org/~jjbenham/mxe/denemo.zip

which has a nasty windows-only bug in deleting a measure in all staffs
fixed. This is a "no-install" version of Denemo - you start it by
executing the top level .bat file.

Otherwise you could install the script into your own version, copy and
paste the script between the scissor lines into the View->Scheme
window:

8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><

;;;TwoNoteTremolo
;;;repeats the selection the given number of times
(if TwoNoteTremolo::params
    (d-InfoDialog (_ "This Denemo Directive is part of a set of four creating a
\"Two note (or chord) tremolo\". Be sure to delete them all if you delete one
of them."))
    (if (d-IsInSelection)
        (let ((tag "TremoloRepeat")(duration #f)(num_repeats (d-GetUserInput (_
"Tremolo Repeat") (_ "Give number of times the two notes/chords should be
sounded 2,4... \n(must total up to proper note duration)") "8")))
            (define (at-start) ;;;enter with d-IsInSelection
                (define ret #f)
                (if (not (d-MoveCursorLeft))
                    (set! ret #t)
                    (begin
                        (set! ret (not (d-IsInSelection)))
                        (d-MoveCursorRight)))
                ret)
            (MoveToEndOfSelection)
            (set! duration (d-GetDurationInTicks))
            (if (and num_repeats (d-MoveCursorLeft) (at-start) (= duration
(d-GetDurationInTicks))) ;;;precisely two objects selected of same duration
                (let ()
                    (set! num_repeats (string->number num_repeats))
                    (d-Copy)
                    (d-Directive-standalone tag)
                    (d-DirectivePut-standalone-minpixels tag 40)
                    (d-DirectivePut-standalone-postfix tag (string-append
"\\repeat tremolo " (number->string num_repeats) "{ "))
                    (d-DirectivePut-standalone-display tag (string-append "% "
(number->string num_repeats)))
                    (d-DirectivePut-standalone-graphic tag (string-append
"\nR{\nDenemo\n36"))
                    (d-DirectivePut-standalone-gy tag 10)
                    (d-MoveCursorRight)
                    (d-MoveCursorRight)
                    (d-MoveCursorRight)
                    (d-Directive-standalone tag)
                    (d-DirectivePut-standalone-minpixels tag 60)
                    (d-DirectivePut-standalone-postfix tag "} %{ ")
                    (d-DirectivePut-standalone-graphic tag "\n}%{\nDenemo\n36")
                    (d-DirectivePut-standalone-gy tag 10)
                    (d-MoveCursorRight)
                    (let loop ((count num_repeats))
                        (d-Paste)
                        (if (> count 2)
                            (loop (1- count))))
                    (d-Directive-standalone tag)
                    (d-DirectivePut-standalone-minpixels tag 40)
                    (d-DirectivePut-standalone-postfix tag " %} ")
                    (d-DirectivePut-standalone-graphic tag "\n%}\nDenemo\n36")
                    (d-DirectivePut-standalone-gy tag 10)
                    (d-MoveCursorRight)
                    (d-RefreshDisplay)
                    (d-SetSaved #f))
                (begin
                    (d-WarningDialog (_ "The selection must comprise two
notes/chords which will sound alternately as a tremolo. The display will show
and sound out repetitions, while LilyPond will typeset them using the tremolo
notation.")))))
        (d-WarningDialog (_ "Cursor not in selection"))))

8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><

You can the either execute it directly from there, or create a palette
button that will execute it for you (or, indeed install it as a command
in the Notes menu).

> I might add that so far I have not even looked at the Lillypond code
> for
> any of this.
>
> I am strictly using the GUI for what I have achieved so far.
>
> My use of Denemo is currently not sufficient to warrant the time on
>
> learning curve for a new language,
>  especially when there is a perfectly
> good GUI to use.
>
> I am not averse to learning Lillypond, it is just something I have
> not
> had the time or commitment to do so far.
>
> I tried the command center and added the tremolo command button to
> the
> general menu.
>
> Selecting the two notes I want to use, leaving the cursor between
> them
> and then using the tremolo button.

well the cursor is never "between" adjacent notes.

> I get the same two notes on the typeset score with two or three
> tails
> through the second one.

so the second one is where the cursor was - that command ignores the
selection and puts a tremolo on a single note.

>  (see Current result attachment)
>
> I have added two examples of what I want to achieve. (see Ex_1, Ex_2
> attachments)

so ex 1 you get by putting two semiquavers in and using the two-note
tremolo command with the value 6 (which puts six pairs of semiquavers
(1/16th notes) which have a duration of a dotted minim (dotted half-
note), which is what you want (see attached tremolo6).

and ex 2 you get with selecting two demisemiquavers (1/32th notes) and
giving 16 as the number of pairs you want.

> Sorry for the confusion on the question of voices. Overloading of
> the
> term voice I think.
>
> I have attached a picture of the idea I am looking to create.  (
> Singer_2 attachment)
>
> This is a snippet from a religious song called 'My Father watches
> over me'.
>
> It does demonstrate what I want to achieve, principle singer holding
>
> note while a second singer sings the echoing text.
>
> This second singer only has a few words occasionally when the first
> one
> is holding a note.

Well, I expect someone else might be more knowledgeable than me on that
but it looks like you just need another verse in which you select and
skip the notes where the voice is silent and then type in the bit where
it comes in, then select and skip the next section etc. Oh, and you
have the second singer playing in a different (musical) voice, so you
need to add a voice to the staff and attach the second line of lyrics
as a verse in that voice. See example(*). I'm not sure how you add the
line in the first voice - perhaps someone else can say, or I can look
up the LilyPond docs on that (fortunately you don't have to learn the
language to be able to patch bits of LilyPond syntax from the examples
given in the LilyPond manual, but it helps a lot to have some idea what
the syntax is like).

HTH

Richard

(*) in creating this example I think I found a bug - when trying to
select and skip it seemed to remove the selection and ask for the
number of syllables instead - perhaps that happens if it is not the
primary voice - needs a bug report...