Re: [Denemo-devel] (Justified) text between title and staff and text bef

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] (Justified) text between title and staff and text before movement.
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 09:04:31 +0100

On Tue, 2019-08-27 at 09:07 +0200, Lib Lists wrote:
> Hi,
> for the manual I'm writing I'd need to write some text between a
> movement title and a staff. At the moment I'm using the 'Piece'
> field,
> but I'm wondering if there's a better way to do it.
That's a quick way to do it without looking to deeply into LilyPond's
markup syntax - but see below (*).

> Also, I'd need to write an introductory text before the first
> movement. I'm using Text after Movement quite often and it's very
> handy so I'm wondering how to type some Text before the first
> Movement.

Do you mean between the Score Title and the Movement Title or before
everything?

> Finally, the texts should be justified, as in the 'Markup lines'
> example here:
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/snippets/text

You can use any markup commands in the various fields that built-in for
titling - e.g. using the Movements->Titles->Simple Titles->Set Titles
=>"piece" field I pasted in the text

  \justify {
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed
    do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
    Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco
    laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
  }
which came from that page and it arranged it justified between the
margins below the movement title.

(*) Perhaps you would be better off not using the built-in titling at
all, since you are writing more and more markup commands - the built-in
titling is just layering a few markup commands around the text that you
give so you may better off with a clean sheet.

If you use the command
Command: LilyPond Score Prolog
Inserts LilyPond syntax for include files etc at head of score.
Location: Object Menu ▶ Score
Internal Name: ScoreProlog

to insert some markup this will appear at the top of the score
(actually, if you *do* have simple titles it will appear between the
Score title and the first Movement title).
What you could do is to interactively design your markup syntax that
you want to use by invoking the command

Command: Multi-line Text and Music
Inserts multi-line text object which can include music snippets, Fret
Diagrams and Note Names/Chord Symbols. LilyPond Markup can be used and
a preview button is available to check the syntax.
Location: Object Menu ▶ Directives ▶ Markings ▶ Text/Symbol
Internal Name: MultiLineTextAnnotation

This command let's you see how your markup will look as you write it.
Once you are happy with it you would copy the markup text and paste it
into the ScoreProlog command above.
(after cancelling the creation of the multi-line text object of
course). You could create your entire title and text system in LilyPond
markup syntax, giving you the maximum flexibility.

It's a trade off between entering only small bits of the syntax and
having complete control.

HTH