Re: [Denemo-devel] PNG selection export (was Re: Beginner questions (cro

From: Lib Lists
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] PNG selection export (was Re: Beginner questions (cross-staff, PNG selection export, feathered beams, batch export, Print View behaviour))
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2019 15:07:15 +0200

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 at 10:15, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, 2019-08-16 at 09:47 +0200, Lib Lists wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 at 12:59, Richard Shann <address@hidden>
> > wrote:

> > > Well, this sounds like it is not difficult to fix: Denemo is
> > > successfully launching the executable program, but the programs
> > > launched are failing to pick up and use the parameter
> > > appropriately. In
> > > the case of Safari it is taking the parameter to be a file name and
> > > prefixing file:/// to it while how the "open" thing is failing is
> > > less
> > > clear, as the man page you quote indicates that calling it with a
> > > pdf
> > > filename as parameter should work. Setting the field to 'open -a
> > > PATH/TO/Preview' would *not* work, as it would try to execute a
> > > program
> > > named 'open -a PATH/TO/Preview' which doesn't exist.
> > > So the easy fix is to create a script that calls the program you
> > > want
> > > to call with the correct parameter. On Unix you would write a file
> > > containing something like
> > >
> > > 8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8
> > > #!/bin/bash
> > >
> > > echo Opening $1 as png using the command: open -a
> > > /PATH/TO/Preview $1
> > >
> > > open -a /PATH/TO/Preview $1
> > >
> > > 8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8
> > >
> > > you would put this into a file, say myopen.sh and make it
> > > executable
> > > chmod a+x myopen.sh
> > >
> > > You could use any other scripting language to take the file name as
> > > provided by Denemo and invoke your display program.
> >
> > Hi Richard,
> > thank you, but unfortunately it didn't work. I get the same result as
> > before (pop-up saying 'Your PNG file has now been created).
>
> But the difference now is that you should get a message on the terminal
> saying
>
> Opening $1 as png using the command: open -a /PATH/TO/Preview $1
>
> where $1 is replaced by the actual parameter it is receiving.
> Indeed, as your first test, invoke myopen.sh directly from the command
> line
>
> /PATH/TO/myopen.sh mypicture.png
>
> where mypicture.png is some .png image.
>
> It should print
>
> Opening mypicture.png as png using the command: open -a /PATH/TO/Preview
> mypicture.png
>
> (where, of course, /PATH/TO is not literal but means that you write the
> path to the appropriate executable) and proceed to display your png.
>
> Once you have an executable script that does display your png as you
> want it then I can't imagine the circumstance where the executable
> script is launched from within the Denemo process and fails (well, you
> could have an out-of-memory error ...)
>
> Once you have the echo message from the myopen.sh saying what the
> command it is issuing is you can then check that the file does in fact
> [...]

Hi,
thanks for your help.
if I launch the script from the terminal it works (as in your example
open -a /PATH/TO/Preview mypicture.png). However, when I launch the
script from Denemo (I put the full path of the script in the Image
Viewer field) nothing happens, i.e. I don't see the echo message on
the terminal and the same pop-up window.
To double check, I'm selecting some music and then 'Export Selection as PNG'.

Lib