Re: [Denemo-devel] User Specific Commands

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] User Specific Commands
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 08:35:08 +0000

On Wed, 2017-03-15 at 23:55 +0000, Brandon Mitchell wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I just recently downloaded Denemo and love how command-friendly it is.
> I want to compose most of my music using a midi-input keyboard. If I
> started a new document with a grand staff, is there a command or
> script that could possibly make my input correlate to the left hand
> (bass clef)? Let’s say, if I wanted all notes under middle C to be
> displayed in the bass clef when playing with two hands.

This is done in Denemo by using a MIDI filter - it captures the MIDI
notes coming in and does whatever you want to do with them. This could
be something very elaborate indeed (see
https://vimeo.com/62426412
) or something as simple as you describe.

However, I'm not sure exactly what you are wanting to do, as you mention
"playing with two hands". What a MIDI controller creates is a stream of
note on and note off messages, so Denemo cannot tell whether you are
playing with two hands or not. It would be easy enough to make Denemo
switch from one staff to another depending on whether the note was above
or below middle C and then to pass the note on for Denemo to respond to
the note in the usual way, but I'm not clear how you could use that.

There are several MIDI filters already in Denemo, for example:

Command: Chord Entry Without Pedal
Playing notes on the MIDI keyboard will enter all notes played as a
chord until no notes are on.
Location: Main Menu ▶ Input ▶ MIDI
Internal Name: ChordEntry

if you look at that script you will probably decide you need guidance
for creating your own MIDI filter, at which point you will need to write
out exactly what actions you would want Denemo to take on getting a note
on or note off message.

Others have created MIDI filters, so don't be discouraged - help always
available!