Re: [Denemo-devel] Problem with pop ups

From: Johan Vromans
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Problem with pop ups
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 20:12:37 +0100

On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 16:54:15 +0000, Richard Shann <address@hidden>
wrote:

> > Not easily, since my work system is not equipped for building
>
> I don't understand - in your first email you included a "spec" file
> which describes all the steps for building - it lists the *-devel
> versions of libraries needed etc.

The Fedora 'mock' build system creates a sort of virtual environment
(jail) where the software is built. In this environment, all necessary tools
and (development) libraries are provided to the build. This way, the host
system stays clean of unwanted tools/libraries with potential incompatible
versions. And it is possible to build for different systems on the
same platform.

The 'spec' file controls the (mock) building process.

> is that to say that the "spec" file is interpreted and the building done
> on some remote machine?

Yes, where remote is local, but jail.

The catch-22 is that for mock building one needs a .tar.gz.

> there is indeed a .tar.gz file available directly from git for the
> latest sources
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/denemo.git/snapshot/denemo-master.tar.gz

Ah! Great!

-- Johan