Re: [Denemo-devel] Problem with pop ups

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Problem with pop ups
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2016 10:06:36 +0000

On Thu, 2016-12-08 at 20:32 +0100, Johan Vromans wrote:
> This is Denemo 2.0.14 on Fedora 23.
>
> I'm still encountering problems with the pop-up tooltips.
>
> See the video at
> http://www.squirrel.nl/pub/xfer/uploads/3CSOYj45At58uqaFYcERQU2g.ogv
>
> 'Create Snippet' shows a yellow tooltip, which is reliable.

This one is showing a standard GTK tool tip, which is what you expect.
In versions of GTK after 3.10 these tool tips cannot be prevented from
appearing rather promptly, and, fatally, cannot be used on every item in
a menu, as in that case the tool tip once up continually shows for each
menu item blocking the view of the menu.

The GTK tool tips have the expected behavior that when you move the
mouse off the item that it belongs to the tool tip vanishes (albeit to
be replaced immediately if you have moved onto another tool-tipped
item).

> Other elements show grey tooltips, sometimes, and after irregular delays.

These are the replacement for the GTK tool tips that have the
above-mentioned fatal flaw.
The irregular delay is the time since entering the item and moving over
it - if this time is longer than your preference time (Edit->Change
Preferences->Command Behavior->Tooltip timeout) then the tool tip pops
up.

> Most important: these pop-ups block the X server completely -- the display
> is unresponsive until the pop-up is cancelled by moving the mouse over it.

To be precise, it blocks until you move the cursor out of it (to which
end you have to move it *into* it first). What you may have missed is
that you can also dismiss it by clicking with the mouse.

> Maybe I used the wrong build options? The spec file is attached.

No, sadly, that is how it is working.

I would have liked to get something more expected, but didn't succeed.
What these Denemo-style tool tips are doing is to pop up a "menu" (with
a single item, the tool tip) which can then be dismissed with a click or
by moving off the tool tip (which means moving on it first, a quick
shake of the mouse).

I think the practical thing for those who are familiar with Denemo is to
set the time out value very large and use right-click->Help to get the
tool tip information on menu items (this assumes that the tool tip
information on other things such as playback controls has already been
read and digested and is no longer needed).

What does occur to me is that GTK folk may get round to fixing the
behavior of the tooltips in some future version - I won't know for some
years until it arrives in Debian Stable. What I could do is provide an
option to turn on standard GTK tooltips, to be ready for the day.