[Denemo-devel] Linux Installation

From: Cantor Stuart Binder
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Linux Installation
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 14:39:48 -0400

I am trying to get a clear picture of the best installation procedure for
Denemo in Linux.
The binary is not up to date in the Debian distributions (Ubuntu Rebecca has
1.1.0, Debian jessIe currently has ver. 1.1.8). Very likely, the majority of
Linux users are going to get Denemo 1.1.0, because that's what you get if
you install it with apt-get, aptitude, synaptic, etc.  So (until we get
updated binaries into the distros) the only ways to install the current
Denemo version are:
1. Build from source or
2. Use the binary available at denemo.org.
Each of these has some issues. Building from source is not for everyone, not
necessarily straightforward even for the experienced. The binary on the
website allows you to run the program, but doesn't do a proper install, and
doesn't add Denemo to any DTE  menu. None of these issues is insurmountable,
but they would definitely get in the way of a novice user trying out the
program. So my questions are: 1. Is there a simple Linux install method for
Denemo that just works? And 2. Does anyone know how to get the current
version of Denemo into the linux distros so that it can be installed with a
package manager?

Stuart Binder