Re: [Denemo-devel] manipulating page breaks

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] manipulating page breaks
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 19:03:18 +0000

On Sat, 2015-01-10 at 13:25 -0500, Ellen Schwindt wrote:
> Thank you, Richard.
>
>    I ended up taking out all the line breaks

I think you meant page breaks here?

>  which eliminated the spreading out problem, but does not allow me to
> specify the page turn measures.

yes, page breaks are for that.

>  It would be nice to be able to control how many measures are in a
> particular system for this purpose. Or do others have a better way
> around this problem?

I haven't much experience with this, but I think you would start with no
forced page breaks and then look near where the page has been broken by
LilyPond for a good place - a better place than the one LilyPond has
chosen.
If the place you try forcing a page break at is too early then the music
will have to be spread out, (since there is not so much music before
this new place as there was before the old place).
If you place it too late then it may not fit and you will end up with an
extra page break inserted before the one you forced (and so very spread
out music).
But if you choose well, you may improve on the choice that LilyPond gave
you.

Things get even more involved if you want to change the smallest amount
of system-to-system space that you are prepared to tolerate and so on,
since then you will need to start over, removing all the manual page
breaks and going through looking for better places to break the page
(always working from the front to the back of your piece, since any page
break you enter affects all the subsequent music layout).

There are also ragged-bottom and ragged-last commands which allow pages
to be less than full and a command to force the systems apart at one
particular point in the music - not sure if those would be helpful for
this sort of thing though.

HTH

Richard