Re: [Denemo-devel] how to put in expressions like rubato

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] how to put in expressions like rubato
Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 10:14:59 +0100

On Sun, 2014-05-25 at 09:04 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:

> On Sat, 2014-05-24 at 19:15 -0400, Ellen Schwindt wrote:
> > and in this most recent work session, I couldn't figure out how to
> > change the enharmonic spelling of only one note in a chord. Do you
> > have advice for that?
> You put the cursor on the note and press + or - (assuming you have
> kept
> the usual keyboard assignments for the Sharpen and Flatten commands).

Sorry, I probably misunderstood. You are thinking of changing for
example E-flat to D-sharp?
I notice there is an enharmonic command change, but it changes all the
notes in the chord.
Well, to change from E-flat to D-sharp at the moment you could put the
cursor on the E-flat, press "d" to change it to D-natural and "+" to
change it to D-sharp.
But another way is more general (not specific to E-flat, D-sharp) and
could be made into a command to do the task for any note in a chord:

Cursor Down one step
Move note to cursor
Sharpen

The first and last of these have keyboard shortcuts down-arrow and "+",
on my set-up the middle one ("To Cursor" in the Notes/Rests->Append/Edit
menu) only has a mouse-shortcut, but it could be given a keyboard
short-cut and then three keystrokes would do it.
And then you could put these all in a single new command (you record the
three commands in the Scheme window and then put them as a new menu item
in the menu).

This is much easier with a MIDI keyboard (they're cheap and save so much
time). You just press the key (having selected the enharmonic range you
want). E.g. if you have a C,D-sharp,G chord by mistake, you set the
enharmonic range to use E-flat instead, put the cursor on the D-sharp
and press the note again, it becomes E-flat.

HTH