Re: [Denemo-devel] Music Games

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Music Games
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:27:40 -0500

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 14:07:15 +0100
Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have placed a .denemo file in actions/musicgames
>
> ReadingNoteNames.denemo
>
> If you run denemo with this file on the command line
>
> denemo -c Empty.cmdset ReadingNoteNames.denemo
>
> and with the empty commandset you should get a game that is
> self-contained.

Question/Concerns:

I like were this is going. Note I had to reduce all the 36 size fonts
to 32 and 16 sized fonts to 12. I had to do this so it all fits on my
screen. My resolution is only 1024x768.

When does the user know when the game is done?  I have not looked at
the code very much yet but can the game also accept keyboard input.
Many of my students are accustom to these games using the keyboard
since I have been using them in my classes.

> I am not sure how to package this: ideally Denemo will come with a
> games chooser. (Many packages install, and then leave you with no
> idea what new executables you have...)

That works. Can it also go into this game mode from any other mode via
the menu?

> Reading note names itself has been enhanced with something to print
> out your score. It should also do some timing,

To what degree of granularity should the timer track? Seconds tenth of
seconds? I don't see why we would need to go any further then tenth of
seconds.

>so that quicker
> note-recognition gets acknowledged.

We would give a time bonus for early completion. That early
completion threshold would need to change depending on how many
examples will be givin. I have also been working on a scoreboard
procedure that saves and loads sorted high scores from a file.