[Denemo-devel] Built 0.8.4 for Jack under Debian Lenny. Now what?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Built 0.8.4 for Jack under Debian Lenny. Now what?
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 10:24:48 +0100

I have built denemo 0.8.4 with --enable-jack for the first time, using
my new Denian Lenny installation.
I haven't done any special starting up of anything - it is just plain
vanilla Debian Lenny installation.
So far I have not managed to get it to make any noises once Input->MIDI
Input is enabled, only to crash on going back to no MIDI input.
I do get a message on startup:

apparent rate = 44100
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|
32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames (23.2 ms), buffer = 2
periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 1242371769499.648 msecs

but although Input->MIDI Input succeeds, no MIDI events arrive from my
MIDI controller.
The non-jack version continues to work, using the same .denemo (that is
I still have the settings for MIDI input device and sequencer device.

Also, on the jack version (without starting MIDI input) playback no
longer works I get this (with no sound):

[1]si->stafftoplay in exportmidi = 0
end of track
[VoiceI done]

[1]si->stafftoplay in exportmidi = 0
end of track
[VoiceI done]

and on pressing play again I get:

(denemo:10063): libsmf-CRITICAL **: Trying to seek past the end of song.

[1]si->stafftoplay in exportmidi = 0
end of track
[VoiceI done]

(denemo:10063): libsmf-CRITICAL **: Trying to seek past the end of song.

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 1242371769499.648 msecs

What should I be expecting from this - are there some settings I should
try? I've fiddled around with some of the Jack tab preferences, but I am
working in the dark...