ddd

Re: pydb [was: The DDD tree ...]

From: David Relson
Subject: Re: pydb [was: The DDD tree ...]
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 19:57:32 -0400

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:43:18 -0400
R. Bernstein wrote:

> David Relson writes:
>  > Perchance, does the latest pydb remember breakpoints after a
>  > restart command?  That's the feature I'd most like to see!
>
> It's there. The older pydb didn't have a gdb "run" command, so ddd
> *had* to do an "exec" of the program to restart.  The exec breakpoints
> and any other debugger state.
>
> Interestly, the pydb program didn't offer a "restart" as a debugger
> command -- ddd did this *outside* of the pydb. (So be grateful that
> ddd even gave you that, because outside of ddd there wasn't even
> that and still isn't in the stock python debugger pdb.)
>
> When I started working on a Python debugger, the very first thing I
> added *was* "run". In fact it was added even before I called the
> debugger pydb! (Originally all I was doing was extending the stock
> debugger pdb; there's a patch submitted around Jan '06 to the Python
> pdb sources gathering dust.)
>
> In current pydb, there is also a "restart" command which does a
> re-exec. And sometimes that's really what you want. For example
> "imports" occur only once so "restart" would be needed here if you
> wanted to debug into an import.

Hi Rocky,

Usually I'm restarting the debugger because I found a problem and
changed the code.  It seems that what I need is a way to restart the
python interpreter and have persistent breakpoints.  The obvious
approach is for pydb to keep a list of breakpoints and apply them on
restart.  Since that hasn't been done, I'm guessing the solution is
much harder to implement than that.  Sigh ...

Regards,

David