Re: Compiling the whoamI problem

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Compiling the whoamI problem
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2019 10:18:51 -0500

On 4/16/19 10:08 AM, Caipenghui wrote:

>> But again, an EXACT transcript of what you have tried typing and the
>> resulting error messages will go a lot further at helping us diagnose
>> where you are missing steps.
>>

> Will this replace the version of the / bin command on my system?

Merely running './configure && make' will not replace anything on your
system. If you want to replace something, then 'make install' or
manually copying the just-built binary from your build tree into the
final system-wide location will be required (hence you often see
instructions recommending './configure && make && sudo make install').
What's more, the default './configure' will not result in 'make install'
actually overwriting /bin/whoami, because the default is to install into
/usr/local/bin; you have to use './configure --prefix=...' to install
into a different location.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226