Re: Compiling the whoamI problem

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Compiling the whoamI problem
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2019 09:55:55 -0500

On 4/16/19 9:29 AM, Caipenghui wrote:

>> After download coreutils' source code (I assume you downloaded
>> the tar.xz file), you need to run "./configure" before running
>> "make".
>> This will generate the necessary header files.
>>
>> If this solves the issue, great.
>> If not - please provide more details about the errors you are
>> experiencing (preferably exact commands).
>>
>> regards,
>>  - assaf
>
> I didn't see./configure.

Did you download a tar file or are you cloning from coreutils.git?  A
tar file should have ./configure already present; but if you are using a
git checkout, you have to run ./bootstrap in order to create ./configure
as well as check out the proper gnulib files that the build depends on.
That in turn may require you to have several developer tools on your
machine which are not required when building from a tarball.

But again, an EXACT transcript of what you have tried typing and the
resulting error messages will go a lot further at helping us diagnose
where you are missing steps.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226