Re: "full" man pages, please?

From: Reuti
Subject: Re: "full" man pages, please?
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 11:36:15 +0100

Hi,

> Am 21.03.2017 um 09:24 schrieb Harald Dunkel <address@hidden>:
>
> Hi folks,
>
> I highly appreciate your work to provide excellent tools for
> decades.
>
> There is one thing I would like to ask for, though: Would you
> mind to support "full" man pages instead of the "full-docu-can-
> be-found-in-info-or-on-the-web-only" pages (e.g. dd(1), cpio(1))?

I want to second this. Although I have a look at the info pages sometimes, it
seems to be handy mostly on an US keyboard as the navigation is done often with
brackets - this is not only one keystroke on german keyboards as you need the
modifier key to reach it. I see the advantage of course, to get a nice output
also in printed form from the same source and a better navigation to
cross-references – once you get known to the navigation.

A nice output of man pages one can get from man pages itself too (for german
paper size):

groff -man -Tps -P-pA4 <(zcat /usr/share/man/man1/ls.1.gz) > ls.ps

-- Reuti