Re: problem in ./bootstrap

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: problem in ./bootstrap
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 19:02:55 -0600

On 01/25/2017 06:42 PM, L A Walsh wrote:

> Eric Blake wrote:
>> Because the run of gnulib-tool is trying to patch a file, but the file
>> doesn't patch cleanly - which is usually an indication that the version
>> of the file being patched (from gnulib) and the patch itself (from
>> coreutils) are out of sync.
> ----
> Wasn't aware the 'make' would pull things dynamically from off the net.

It doesn't currently, but it would be nice if it did (or at least had
the option to), when it detects that the gnulib submodule is out of date.

> I added the files to local.mk in the 'src' dir, but now I get:
> cd . && /bin/sh /home/tools/coreutils/work2/coreutils/build-aux/missing
> automake-1.13 --gnu Makefile
> src/local.mk:367: warning: variable 'src_retab_SOURCES' is defined but
> no program or
> src/local.mk:367: library has 'src_retab' as canonical name (possible typo)

Are you trying to add 'retab' as a new coreutils? It may help if you
post the patch you are trying so far, to see if others can spot your
problems, rather than just diagnosing your symptoms.  As Pádraig
mentioned, seeing how other additions have happened in the past may be
instructive, as it is more than just src/local.mk that needs a modification.

Let's take a step back - are you hoping to contribute 'retab' upstream,
or are you doing this just as a downstream-only change that you will
never distribute?  To get it merged upstream, you'll want to sign
copyright papers, and you'll need documentation and testsuite changes in
addition to code. It may also help to do a high-level overview of the
command line syntax, and what your program does that can't already be
done by other coreutils that warrants its inclusion in this suite of
programs.