Re: How-to compile only /usr/bin/env

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: How-to compile only /usr/bin/env
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 13:55:08 +0100

Thanks for your answer. So it seems is working as expected and it's
designed to build all at once, isn't it? I was asking to generate just
only that binary since build the full system is somewhat superfluous,
and although I've implemented my own version in Node.js, it probably
wouldn't be so eficient... :-/

> On 10/12/14 09:49, address@hidden wrote:
>> I'm building a minimalistic Linux-based OS that just start to a
>> Node.js shell (http://node-os.com/) and I need the /usr/bin/env binary
>> so scripts can work without needing to hardcode the shebang. Problem
>> is, that altough I only need the env binary, I need to compile all the
>> coreutils. I've tried both with 'make env' and 'make src/env' without
>> success, so I ask:
>>
>> * is there any way to compile only one of the coreutils binaries?
>> * if so, how to do it?
>>
>> Greetings, Jesús Leganés Combarro "piranna".
>
> coreutils takes only a short while to compile compared
> to the configure step at least which is mandatory.
>
> Consequently coreutils uses BUILT_SOURCES to initially generate some sources
> required in the build. The automake manual says that
>
>   "you cannot use BUILT_SOURCES if the ability to run ‘make foo’
>    on a clean tree is important to you."
>
> Given the relative short time of the build and the unusual use case of a
> partial build from a clean tree, the coreutils project avoids manually
> specifying all dependencies, and instead uses BUILT_SOURCES as described
> above.
>
> Note also that it supports parallel compiles well so add the -j $(nproc)
> option to make.
>
> thanks,
> Pádraig.

Unix."
– Linus Tordvals, creador del sistema operativo Linux