Re: How-to compile only /usr/bin/env

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: How-to compile only /usr/bin/env
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 13:08:16 +0000

On 10/12/14 09:49, address@hidden wrote:
> I'm building a minimalistic Linux-based OS that just start to a
> Node.js shell (http://node-os.com/) and I need the /usr/bin/env binary
> so scripts can work without needing to hardcode the shebang. Problem
> is, that altough I only need the env binary, I need to compile all the
> coreutils. I've tried both with 'make env' and 'make src/env' without
> success, so I ask:
>
> * is there any way to compile only one of the coreutils binaries?
> * if so, how to do it?
>
> Greetings, Jesús Leganés Combarro "piranna".

coreutils takes only a short while to compile compared
to the configure step at least which is mandatory.

Consequently coreutils uses BUILT_SOURCES to initially generate some sources
required in the build. The automake manual says that

  "you cannot use BUILT_SOURCES if the ability to run ‘make foo’
   on a clean tree is important to you."

Given the relative short time of the build and the unusual use case of a
partial build from a clean tree, the coreutils project avoids manually
specifying all dependencies, and instead uses BUILT_SOURCES as described above.

Note also that it supports parallel compiles well so add the -j $(nproc) option
to make.

thanks,
Pádraig.