cl-bibtex-users

Re: [Cl-bibtex-users] Project still active?

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Cl-bibtex-users] Project still active?
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 19:28:32 -0700 (PDT)

--- Drew McDermott <address@hidden> wrote:

> The main part of Mathias's code that I still
> use is the stuff that reads bibtex files and creates the database of
> publications.

That's probably going to be my main interest as well.  I would like to
be able to look up bibtex entries by more than just an arbitrary unique
key, and having them in a lisp database seems like a good first step.

> I have sort of half-finished my project, enough to use it for some of
> my own papers, but I wouldn't think anyone else would find it useful,
> without some further polishing.  However, if you're thinking of doing
> something similar I would be glad to tell you more about my approach.

My interest is from the Axiom project.  We are working on literate
programming tools in Lisp, and one of the project members has written a
very nice literate tool for the tangle and weave operations.  What we
don't have, however, is a good way to make citations.  Say we have a
common bib file used by many individual documents.  A given author will
know something about the paper he wants to cite, but may not know the
key used to uniquely define it.  I would like to include in the weave
step the processing of a command which, when supplied with enough
information about title/author/etc. to uniquely identify a reference,
will return the proper citation in the output tex file.  Doing this in
lisp would be nice, as it would integrate well with our other efforts.
What we really need sounds like about what you are using - the bib
parsing ability and a database of entries.  I'm content for the moment
to let bibtex handle the bst files, although in the longer term having
cl-bibtex and cl-typesetting be a complete in-Lisp solution is of
interest to me.

Cheers,
CY

Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative vehicles. Visit the
Yahoo! Auto Green Center.
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/