Re: [Chicken-users] http-client: distinguishing between responses 301 an

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] http-client: distinguishing between responses 301 and 302
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 15:37:02 +0200

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 01:01:20PM +0200, Jörg F. Wittenberger wrote:
> Now I want to replace that mess I wrote over 15 years ago with an
> alternative implementation I don't have to maintain alone. http-client comes
> to mind.
>
> Looking closer I don't like to install exception handlers in order to handle
> the http status. That might be a matter of taste.

http-client was written as a simple to use "90% use cases" tool.  That's
why it will handle redirects automatically and it doesn't have an easy
way to interfere with that.

For most people this is sufficient.  If you have specific requirements
that can't be done in a clean way with http-client, it might make more
sense to use intarweb directly and perhaps copy and paste some code
from http-client.

Of course, if there's a clean way to extend http-client to support new
use cases, I'm always open to considering making some changes to make
it possible, but it should never interfere with common use cases.

Cheers,
Peter