Re: [Chicken-users] Who wants to lead Chicken projets?

From: Peter Keller
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Who wants to lead Chicken projets?
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 01:36:31 -0600

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 08:58:10AM -0800, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> My pet peeve about programming languages is they typically don't specify
> their build systems.  So for all the type safety people say they're
> achieving in their language, it is ruined by haphazard shell interfaces
> on multiple operating systems.  I'm not sure what can be done about the
> problem, only that it is a problem.

After 20 minutes of careful research, I think that build systems shouldn't
be specified per language. The language can export features that make
building things easier, but I think that's as far as you get. I honestly
wonder if something like a first order predicate logic engine, or maybe
a temporal logic engine, should be used for a build system... It sort
of looks like CMake tried to do that, at least with their syntax.

But, eh, I currently think the currently available tools are probably
"good enough" for most things.

-pete