Re: [Chicken-users] Who wants to lead Chicken projets?

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Who wants to lead Chicken projets?
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 08:58:10 -0800

Peter Keller wrote:

A "cradle to grave" metacompiler.

My pet peeve about programming languages is they typically don't specify their build systems. So for all the type safety people say they're achieving in their language, it is ruined by haphazard shell interfaces on multiple operating systems. I'm not sure what can be done about the problem, only that it is a problem. CMake is a better in-practice solution for build problems than anything I'm likely to do R&D on in the near future. It's better because it has a large, responsive development team, a large community, and people supporting it. KDE has converted to it, so when KDE 4.0 ships I expect CMake to proliferate. CMake is dealing with a lot of practical, boring build problems. It doesn't deal with everything, but it deals with vastly more things than one would dream up. That's because when people run into things it can't do, they tell the CMake developers about it, and feature requests get put in their bug tracker.

If anything, all of these ideas should be recorded somewhere and they
should act like seeds for people to look over and see what they'd like
to water.

I will create a "Chicken project leaders" wiki page.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every