RE: [certi-dev] Git clone of CERTI CVS tree / SVN?

From: Gotthard, Petr
Subject: RE: [certi-dev] Git clone of CERTI CVS tree / SVN?
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 16:58:38 +0200

Eric,

> In fact I wanted to do the switch some times ago but I did refrain
> myself because I don't want such a change to lower the
> number of CERTI users.
> The advantage of CVS is that there is a LOT OF people used to it.

This is the reason why I like SVN more than GIT.

A user wrote:
# There's only two reasons why I use Subversion: because I can install
# it with three mouse clicks and because I can use it with three mouse
# clicks.
http://kerneltrap.org/index.php?q=mailarchive/git/2006/7/31/209432

For example, I was not able to install GIT under Windows at all.

> SVN would be possible too, but there is not so much advantage over CVS
> besides the firewall friendlyness iff it used over https, which is not
> necessarily the case.

Savannah seems to primarily use the SSH based access and offers HTTP for
read-only access. This makes SVN less attractive for write-access
developers, but other CERTI users may still benefit from the HTTP
access.

Regards,
Petr