Re: [certi-dev] Git clone of CERTI CVS tree / SVN?

From: Eric Noulard
Subject: Re: [certi-dev] Git clone of CERTI CVS tree / SVN?
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 15:18:13 +0200

2009/6/1 Gotthard, Petr <address@hidden>:
> Eric, a little question: if the CVS tree is really lost,

The CVS tree is not lost, at least not totalyy
The last working backup from Savannah.org seems to be
the full backup around the end of April.

The later incremental backup seems to suffer from
the filesystem corruption too.

I think we may recover the whole tree using the git import from Martin
(I'll check this tonight)

> isn't the right
> time to consider migrating to SVN, or staying with GIT?
> [CVS is a bit firewall unfriendly.]

Yes could be.
In fact I wanted to do the switch some times ago but I did refrain
myself because I don't want such a change to lower the
number of CERTI users.
The advantage of CVS is that there is a LOT OF people used to it.

So Yes I would be in favor of a switch.
I would definitely want to stay hosted at Savannah for ethical and
historical reason. This is the first "possible" loss of data I ever
faced using Savannah since 2002.
Savannah do their jobs and they do it well.

Concerning SVN vs GIT, I would definitely be in favor of GIT precisely
because it solves the backup redundancy problem very easilly,
(as other DVCS do
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_Version_Control_System)
 since each developer always has a copy of the ***repository itself***.

SVN would be possible too, but there is not so much advantage over CVS
besides the firewall friendlyness iff it used over https, which is not
necessarily the case.

Another possibility would be to go for GIT and offer a git-cvsserver and/or
a companion SVN repo using git-svn
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-cvsserver.html
http://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-svn.html

Thus, concerning the robustness and effectivness I would go for GIT.

Concerning the through  firewall access problem, GIT or SVN would be OK
but it depends on the provider of the services. I think Savannah
currently offers
ssh access only (to be confirmed).
If ssh access is a problem GIT is better because of its builtin capability of
hosting several git tree including the one at flightgear.org
http://mapserver.flightgear.org/git/gitweb.pl

which can be access through http.

I'll work on restoring a working CVS tree with Savannah hackers but
you are right
we should discuss the SVN/GIT/ switch now.

ALL DEVELOPER POINT OF VIEW ARE WELCOME :-)