Re: [be] bibledit-web-0.2

From: Kim Blewett
Subject: Re: [be] bibledit-web-0.2
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 15:21:10 -0400

I've just tried installing BE-web, per instructions at bibledit.org (google project). In some places I had to guess what to do, but everything did seem to go according to the directions (in blue), up until the fourth step below (green), from http://bibledit.org/demo/help/001ubuntu1004server.php.

sudo make install
Yes. I got a message(be-web.txt) attached, saying my installation prefix is '/usr' and my Web server document root is '/var/www'.
Test the web server. Open the site in the browser. It should say something like
It works!

This did seem to work. I opened file:///var/www/index.html came up with this message. Typing "localhost" as a browser address gives me the same message.

Setup Bibledit-Web. Open the setup url in the browser. If the site is "site.com", then this will be something like: http://site.org/bibledit/setup.php

Yes. I tried this, and discovered that I had missed installing php, so I did install php, then when I typed "localhost/bibledit/setup.php" something ran, giving me this message:

Site setup
Please scroll down to see all messages

Ok: Web server username www-data
Ok: Files are writeable
Error: Smarty compile directory is not writeable

Bibledit-Web should now be ready, and accessible through: http://site.org/bibledit

from here on it's not working. I can't figure out how to access bibledit. http://localhost/bibledit gives me a blank page. file:///var/web/bibledit gives me a directory of what's in that folder, but when I select one of those php files I get "what program do you want to use to run this file". http://localhost/bibledit/index.php also gives me a blank page, though I can see "index.php" in /var/web/bibledit/.

Obviously I'm missing something... PHP does seem to run--it works with that one file 'setup.php'. Is "http://localhost" a different location from "file:///var/web"? If so, where is it?

The Bibledit instructions are not too clear in some places. I guess I sort of mixed up the instructions from these three pages:
http://bibledit.org/demo/help/installation.php --this page has links for v 0.1 on different Ubuntus, but it sent me to
http://sites.google.com/site/bibledit/community/development to get v 0.2 from the repository. Then I did make etc., through sudo make install, and finally I remembered to look at
http://bibledit.org/demo/help/001ubuntu1004server.php, which mentioned installing these packages, which I did.
    phpmyadmin php5-cli git-core curl

I redid ./configure, make, sudo make install after this (told php to work with mysql because I'd installed it per a note on
http://bibledit.org/demo/help/installation.php. I googled to figure out how to install mysql; I ended up installing these pkgs:
        libgtk2.0-dev git-core rcs curl libsqlite3-dev libenchant-dev libgtkhtml3.14-dev libgtksourceview2.0-dev libwebkit-dev texlive-xetex
and
        php5-mysql mysql-server phpmyadmin php5-cli git-core curl

Help or advice would be welcome.
Thanks, Kim