Re: [Bayonne-devel] Bayonne + VOCAL

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [Bayonne-devel] Bayonne + VOCAL
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 08:13:24 -0400

Java Rockx wrote:
Hello All.

I'm a complete newbie with Bayonne and I'm reading through the documentation
and have two simple questions.

Q: Can I use Bayonne as an IVR voice mail system for VOCAL (a SIP platform)?
I'm confident that the answer to this is YES.

We have had success using Bayonne (the current testing branch and what will be the next production branch) with openh323, and we have SIP using osip and ccrtp in active development for both branches as well. Right now there is some question about recycling session objects since some people find they need it and others find it breaks. oSIP uses UDP SIP, so if your VOCAL platform is using SIP over TCP, you may need to run it through a proxy like ser.If you dont have connectivity issues then you can write scripts to make Bayonne do anything you wish, including voice mail. However, you will have to write a lot of scripts for your application.

Q: Can I use Bayonne **without** any telephony boards? I only need the
IVR/voice mail features. Since I'm doing SIP only calls, I don't need a
telephony board since that is all handled by VOCAL. So I'm trying to see if a
SIP user agent can be redirected to the Bayonne server for voice mail
functionality. Right now when I start Bayonne up it complains about "no trunk
ports activated" which is correct, since I don't have any trunks or telephony
boards for that matter.

Yes, in the testing branch you just load up the sip driver. But it's only available if compiled when osip2, eXoSip (configured --without-josua) and ccrtp are installed. When you load the sip driver it registers "trunks" that are ip sessions, so it still shows a trunk count, which is your maximum SIP port/session capacity.

Q: How many users can a Bayonne system typically handle? Can it be implemented
as a fully redundant system for thousands or tens of thousands of voice
mailboxs?

I do not expect a single common server to run more than 250 concurrent rtp sessions, although you may get more with a high end smp p4. There is some coding limits set for 1000 ports per server instance at the moment, and a common server with physical hardware has been tested up to T3 capacity using Dialogic hardware on T1 trunks.

Q: Finally, has anyone ever used Bayonne as a voice mail feature server for
VOCAL?

I have been using Asterisk PBX but am unhappy with it so I'm now looking for
alternatives. Any and all feedback would be really helpfull.

Best Regards,
Paul