Re: [Axiom-math] Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: musings on notation

From: Mike Dewar
Subject: Re: [Axiom-math] Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: musings on notation
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:19:42 +0100

I don't know if Bill Naylor subscribes to this list, but his PhD (at
Bath, supervised by James Davenport) involved using straight-line
programs to represent polynomials in Axiom.  Just as with other
mathematical objects you could do arithmetic with them, perform
operations such as GCD computations etc., however their representation
was as an explicit program.  These programs were represented in Axiom as
instances of domains in the usual way - if I remember rightly the
infrastructure he created was quite extensive.  I don't know if this
work really addresses Tim's original thoughts about notation which
started off this thread but it might be worth looking at or even
reviving.

Mike.