Re: [avrdude-dev] New programmer support

From: Dmitriy Kanareykin
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] New programmer support
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 01:18:30 +0300

Hello Joerg,

JW> Given that the programmer is a (high-voltage) parallel programmer,
JW> I don't think it will work with plain Fischl USB protocol at all.

Yes, according to the documentation (and software) it supports four
programming modes:

- PP20 (High voltage parallel programming with 20 wires/pins)
- PP18 (High voltage parallel programming with 18 wires/pins)
- HVSP
- ISP

At this moment I've only tested it in PP20 mode with mega8a and
mega32a, it takes about 3.5sec to read mega32 flash (32K).

The programmer itself is based on ATmega16 with 12MHz quartz.

JW> But OK, it might be worth an attempt.

Tried it, got the following:

avrdude.exe -c usbasp-clone -p m8 -v
avrdude.exe: auto set sck period (because given equals null)
avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware
update.
avrdude.exe: error: program enable: target doesn't answer. e2
avrdude.exe: initialization failed, rc=-1
             Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
             this check.

JW> Any chance to ask the Chinese guys for some documentation
JW> about the protocol?  After all, they appear to be interested
JW> in selling hardware rather than software, so an additional
JW> tool being able to talk to their hardware would be a gain
JW> for them.

JW> Once the protocol is known, someone had to implement it …

I'll try contacting them regarding the protocol.

--
Best regards,
 Dmitriy                            mailto:address@hidden