Re: [avrdude-dev] [patch #8967] Change ft2xx library to ftdi_syncbb inst

From: Xiaofan Chen
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] [patch #8967] Change ft2xx library to ftdi_syncbb instead of libusb
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 16:40:36 +0800

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 2:51 PM,  <address@hidden> wrote:

> Libusb is not stable in Windows systems. It is always hangs, don`t
> closes sessions and work very slow. It was main reason to rewrite sources.

I have to contested this as a libusb and libusb-win32 project admin.

libusb-win32 and libusb-1.0 for Windows are both quite stable now
and have been used by many project. Maybe you are still based
your opinion on the old version of libusb-win32 (0.1.x version) which
was unstable under Windows Vista/7/etc.

OpenOCD project has re-written the ftd2xx/libftdi based backend
for FTDI based JTAG debuggers to libusb-1.0 based mpsse and the
speed increased by quite a bit (using asynchronous API).

Ref:
http://repo.or.cz/openocd.git/blob/HEAD:/src/jtag/drivers/mpsse.c

After that, the libftdi/ftd2xx driver was deprecated.
   http://openocd.zylin.com/#/c/1899/

Just FYI, ftd2xx under Linux is based on libusb-1.0.

So if you need the performance, swith to libusb-1.0
asynchronous API.

As for Driver installation, it is not really that difficult when
switching driver using applications like Zadig, Zadig
works well under Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
    http://zadig.akeo.ie/

--
Xiaofan