[avrdude-dev] [patch #8967] Change ft2xx library to ftdi_syncbb instead

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [patch #8967] Change ft2xx library to ftdi_syncbb instead of libusb
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2016 20:59:27 +0000

Follow-up Comment #1, patch #8967 (project avrdude):

Well, from a licensing point of view, it's somewhat questionable
whether we'd really like to introduce a dependency on a
closed-source library in code licensed under GPL.  Such
dependencies are always tolerable if the library qualifies
as a "system library" (otherwise, you could not use GPL
software on a closed-source OS), but ftd2xx would certainly
not qualify as such.

Second, there are a number of platforms AVRDUDE supports
where libftd2xx is not available at all (*BSD, Solaris).

I'd like to see the real benefit of such an implementation
before having that in the code.  However, it makes more sense
to discuss that on the mailing list rather than in a patch
tracker.  In particular, your submission suggests the
existing implementation were less stable, so we certainly
ought to fix that.  (OK, the signed driver for Windows is
accepted as a benefit.)

Finally, some stylistic issues:

* If at all, the use of ftd2xx must be completely optional,
so people who cannot or don't want to install it don't lose
any functionality.  Replacing the existing ft245r.c
implementation is thus not acceptabel.

#elif defined(HAVE_LIBFTDI)&&(defined(HAVE_USB_H)||defined(HAVE_LUSB0_USB_H))

* Spaces and braces are welcome. ;-)

* If you wrote the file, please add your name in the copyright
header.

* In the comment in ftd2xx_initialize, there are non-ASCII,
non-ISO8859-1, non-UTF-8 characters. ('\x93', '\x94')

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?8967>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/