Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: [avrdude-dev] [RFC] avrdude Feature RequestandCal

From: Galen Seitz
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: [avrdude-dev] [RFC] avrdude Feature RequestandCall for Volunteers
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 14:25:28 -0800

Eric Weddington wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. Would an algorithm such as this be acceptable?:

1. If -U switches exist on command line, then follow those sequences exactly
2. else (no -U switches exist on command line) follow automatic sequence:
        2.1. Fuses (verify, if different: write and verify)
        2.2. Flash (erase, write, verify)
        2.3. EEPROM (verify, if different: erase, write, and verify)

I realize your are trying to keep things simple for production, but I tend to
think that some sort of command line switch is desirable.  I don't necessarily
like the idea of a bare file name defaulting to programming. I think I'd prefer two separate switches, one for programming and one for verifying. The
programming switch would perform the above sequence, and the verify switch
would attempt to verify all applicable sections in the elf file.  Perhaps
using the bare file name could default to verifying, and on a verify error,
the error message could include a hint as to how to program, ie
 Verify failed at address 0x0000 (use -p to program)

galen